FDA CVM published this month their 5 year plan to support antimicrobial stewardship in veterinary settings. I summarized the 5 most relevant to our businesses below. It is of interest to see where we are going with regard to antimicrobial usage.
- Develop duration of use on all antimicrobial – 40% don’t have one
- Move injectable medically important antibiotics to Rx – 5% of total antimicrobial usage
- Move from educational to compliance inspections of the VFD process. Expand the VFD compliance strategy.
- Characterize antimicrobial use in cattle, swine, chickens, turkeys. Develop a measurement program for antimicrobial usage – develop an appropriate denominator. Develop long term strategy for collecting antimicrobial use data in animals.
- Expand the sampling and testing for bacterial resistance isolates.
To download a copy of the report, please click here.